Tuesday, January 13, 2009

He'll Always be My "Original" Baby...


Well, Hoonis will be 9 years old this coming May, and we have owned him since he was 5 and a half weeks old. Needless to say, we're both extremely attached to him (even though Austin won't always admit to that, like when Hooney has bad gas). For those who know me well, you know that I love all of my animals, but Hoonis is my baby. He has overcome so much during his 8 years, including chronic seizures, corneal ulcers, pancreatitis, 4 leg operations (including hip replacement) after a bad accident, skin cancer, etc, and we've been there through it all. Long story short...we have gone through a LOT with him, and I truly am his mom (regardless of how silly that sounds). He would prefer to sit right at my side over anything else in the world, including eating "tootsie rolls" out of the litter box and taking a "bye-bye". That's a huge compliment to me. :)

We found out tonight that Hooney is in the beginning stages of heart failure. He has developed a heart murmur, and the X-Rays showed his heart is most definitely enlarged. Hoonis has overcome SO MUCH that I hope and pray he can overcome this too, but I'm afraid he may be too old and has already gone through too much. He will be starting meds and will be monitored for the remainder of his life. I know he can't live forever, but Hoonis' death will be one of the most devastating days of my life (and Austin's too). So, if you are one who believes that animals are kids/members of the family, maybe you can squeak Hoonis in your T's and P's. :)

3 comments:

Tom, Lauren, Maddie and Cru said...

Well that got the tears a flow'n...Hoonie. Hugs for you too Katie, I know this is a hard time. No one wants their "babies" to get older and sick. We love him like our nephew and hope things look up soon.

Unknown said...

We do, and we will.

L & K

Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

We love you Hooney Roon, kisses and hugs from us Hosfords. You and the kids are in our prayers for sure KK- keep us posted. Loves!!!