Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My Poor, Poor Hooney Bear...


Well, I suppose it's evident that the power of prayer works for people, but how about for animals? Not that I consider Hoonis an "animal"...anyone who knows me knows that he's my and Austin's child. He just cannot stop having these really bad seizures. He woke me up a little after 6 this morning with another one (Austin had just left for work...go figure). He wakes us out of a dead sleep becasue he kicks and thrashes so hard. :( His anti-seizure med (phenobarbital) didn't work, although I think he may go back on it in a stronger dose. I hate that stuff...it makes Hoonis a walking, eating, drinking, zombie. Definitely not himself. I feel so bad for him. Austin and I have so much going on right now, this only adds to our already heightened stress. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! OK...I feel better. Last summer we were actually told for the first time that he would more than likely die at any time, as he was just starting his seizures and having severe (idiopathic-they still don't know why) cardiac arrhythmias at the same time. We had never heard from his doctors (yes, plural) that he would die, even during his pancreatitis, skin cancer, four surgeries on his leg, a near-fatal reaction to a medication, and epillepsy. He's still going strong. I guess I'm just proving his strong will to live here. It kills me that Austin and I have brought up that horrible, horrible word again recently (euthanasia). We'll do anything we can to avoid that, but the word is being tossed around. :(


Hoonis turned 7 in May and Austin and I have raised him since he was 5 weeks old! He truly is our baby, and although some may think we're crazy, we love him so, so much and so far have done EVERYTHING we possibly can for him. He depends on us for everything. And those who know Hooney well know all that he has gone through in his 7 years (and what our bank account has gone through!). I don't know what to do other than ask for him to pull through this like he has everything else, because I cannot imagine life without him. Seven years is a long time to spend raising, nurturing, taking care of, training and loving someone. I just wish I could snap my fingers and make him ok! Is that possible?!?!?! So if tonight when you pray you have extra room for Hoonis, please add him to your prayers!


Sorry...I just had to vent (which I think is the actual purpose of a blog?!!?) I have to get ready for work now...:(
P.S. Hoonis has been laying right next to me this whole time, and just as I was about to hit "Publish Post", he farted! He has such an incredible sense of humor...;)

4 comments:

The Hansen's said...

I WILL KEEP HIM IN M PRAYERS, I KNOW HOW STRONG THAT BOND WITH THE PUPPIES CAN BE, I HAVE 2 THAT I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR :) AND THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN THAT HAS REFLECTED IN OUR BANK ACCOUNT:) BUSTER AND BRUISER SEND HIM SOME PUPPY LOVE!

Tom, Lauren, Maddie and Cru said...

Oh honey, you are all in our prayers. Hoonis is part of the family, being our first nephew on the Hosford side. We love him so dearly and will pray for him everyday. Give Hooney a smooch from us and tell him to hang in here. Love you guys!!
Tom, Lauren and Maddie

Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Hooney Roon, All our love and smooches from Auntie T and Uncle D. Katie and Austin, We are totally praying for you guys and Hooney, We hope so much that he pulls through and that you are strong in thsi tough time. He is definitely part of the fam and we send our thougts and prayers. Loves!!!

Chrissy @ the Pearl Blog said...

Hey Katie. My parents Dogs have siezures. They lived a long time with it and I will find out what meds they are on and see if maybe it's worth a shot for yours. I a used to the seizures as my Sister has them too. I will keep your dod in my thoughts! Love you guys!
Chrissy